Careers in STEM
IssuesPeace, justice, and partnership
- Peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development must be promoted, access to justice for all must be provided, and effective, accountable, and inclusive institutions must be built at all levels
- Despite civilians being protected in armed conflicts under international law, between 2015 and 2017 more than 100,000 civilian deaths were recorded . One in eight of those was either a woman or a child. The trade in illegal arms must be tackled along with detecting the use of banned technologies. These are fuelling human rights abuse. There is also the cost of clearing up after conflicts.
- Militarism, the belief that a nation should develop, maintain, and use a strong military to expand its interests, contributes to poverty and diverts resources. Money for high-technology equipment cannot be used for infrastructure, health care, education, or other economic needs. Militarism suppresses dissent, creates environmental damage, institutes classism, and leads to crime and terrorism.
- Disarmament, non-proliferation and arms control play a vital role in preventing conflict, and in forging and sustaining peace.
- Mobilising sufficient resources in support of disarmament and arms regulation is critical to achieving the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Increased availability of high quality, timely, disaggregated and reliable arms-related data can inform discussions about the relationship between disarmament, development, peace and security, leading to better decisions and policies.
- The means of implementing and revitalising the global partnership for sustainable development needs to be strengthened through promoting the development, transfer, dissemination, and diffusion of environmentally sound technologies to developing countries on favourable terms.
 Data taken from United Nations ‘Transforming Our World - The 2030 Agenda For Sustainable Development’
Transforming our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development | Department of Economic and Social Affairs (un.org)
21252030 Agenda for Sustainable Development web.pdf (un.org)